Saturday, May 23, 2009

Happy Memorial Day

My grandfather retired from the Air National Guard. My cousin just enlisted in the Army. My brother-in-law is just finishing up tech school for the Air Force. My grandmother's husband was in the Navy. I hope that we all remember the reason for this three day weekend. It is not just an excuse for the banks to be closed. It is a remembrance of all those who have fought and died for us so that we may live in ignorant bliss as we walk where we want, live where we want, eat what we want, buy what we want, and live spoiled lives. I am so proud to be an American. Not because we always do the right thing, but because our servicemen and women choose to serve the millions of unknown Americans everyday and we almost never think of them. Today I would like to say thank you to all of those who are in the recruiter's office, waiting for boot camp, in basic training, in tech school, on active duty, in the hands of military hospitals, veterans, retired military, and those who have passed away giving up their lives for their countrymen. Thank you.

1 comment:

Suzann said...

popping in from SITS to say good morning and wishing you a great first day at Grad school.