Saturday, February 28, 2009

Phew!!!

It has been a crazy past few days, but I am finally back in California with my sweetheart. The flight was fine. It left MS at 6:30 am and I arrived in CA at noon on Thursday. Wish I would have gotten to sleep a little more than that especially since I arrived so early. But oh well. Thursday, after my honey came and picked me up, we went to some friends' house to watch Grey's Anatomy. It is a standing date that we do with several friends, meet at someones house to watch Grey's. It is really a fun time. But this Thursday, they made me the best tri-tip ever, twice baked potatoes, salad, and one of them brought the most wonderful strawberry cheesecake I have ever had in my life. Why you ask did they go to all this trouble? Well my birthday came while I was in MS and so they felt like they needed to celebrate it with me. They are wonderful friends who truly are selfless. Yesterday, Trae and I had to go shopping because he let the groceries get down to practically nothing. He had no milk, no eggs, no bread, but by gosh, he did have BACON! But that really didn't surprise me. So we got the kitchen stocked back up with essentials so that if I wanted to whip something up, I wouldn't be scratching my head wondering where all the food went. Then we watched a movie, very typical of us. We are such movie lovers. We often like obscure movies that some people may find pointless or stupid, not in a dumb way though. I'll give you an example: Lars and the Real Girl. If you have ever seen this movie you will know and understand that it is unexpected, funny, and a great film. Just when you think that the movie is about to take a cheap nasty turn, it doesn't and reaffirms your trust in Hollywood to create a great film that has nothing to do with sex, nakedness, cheating or greed. But Trae and I have often been told that we do have sense of humor that is a little off beat. My mom calls us the "same kind of weird".
After our movie, I made dinner. It is one of our favorites and I did a pretty good job making it last night. Steak and Guinness Pie, a Jamie Oliver special. It has puff pastry, steak, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, and of course Guinness. It is so good.
Today, he had to go to work, he took the leftover pie with him of course. I am going to town. I am visiting a quilting shop in town that I have never been to before. I am very excited about that. No, I have not forgotten about my quilt that I have already started. It would not fit in my suitcase, so I had to ship it. Hopefully it will be here by early next week and I will continue it and keep you all posted of course. That is all for now.
Coming soon: We have a ski trip planned in a few weeks with Trae's boss/job caretaker. That will be a lot of fun. I am going to San Jose in a few weeks to spend a couple of days with my grandmother, mom, and great aunt, so I am looking forward to that. But for now, I must go and clean house!! It looks like a bachelor pad again!

4 comments:

Mama Wheaton said...

Visiting from SITS. SOunds like you had a great welcome home from your friends. I'll check back later for your quilt updates.

Anonymous said...

Oh I'm so glad you're having a fun time :)

Jodie said...

Hi Monica... thanks for checking out my blog. To answer your question, I have a Pfaff sewing machine - the Expression 2038. I've had it for a few months now and love it! I'd highly recommend it if it's within your budget.

Amanda Wells said...

I loved lars & the real girl. Hilarious and you can't go wrong with Ryan Gosling.

So what was the present trae gave you?? do tell.